Author Topic: Archibald Campbell and Mary Lycett, married 1776 in Stafford  (Read 2589 times)

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Campbell and Mary Lycett, married 1776 in Stafford
« on: Sunday 03 November 19 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for more information on the life and possibly ancestry of Archibald Campbell and his wife Mary Lycett, who married in the parish of St Mary in Stafford in 1776, when Archibald was 21, meaning he was born around 1755.

The marriage record lists him as a "Doctor in Physic" and I'd like to know more about where he may have practiced and studied medicine and whether he attended university. I'm also unable to find a birth or death record for him at this time.

All of his children were born in Stafford.
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Campbell and Mary Lycett, married 1776 in Stafford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
If you can find an image of the Marriage Licence (image on FindMyPast) you will see that it reads "aged 21 years and upwards" which just basically means that he is over the age of 21 and not that he was born in 1755.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
The name Archibald Campbell sounds Scottish -- although we shouldn't assume should we.

In addition a really early Medical School existed in Edinburgh --- this is PURE SUPPOSITION that Archibald MAY have attended it.

There is an Archibald Campbell -- shown here in the Medical School records - but whether it's your Archibald is up in the air.

https://collections.ed.ac.uk/alumni/search/archibald+campbell
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Would be great to link this to him. Is there any reason why he may have moved to Staffordshire if he was Scottish? May there have been a large demand for Medical Doctors in Stafford at the time?

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »

I think Edinburgh was a well known medical learning centre from the early 1700s - and I don't suppose there would be too many around in that era.

In Archibald's time I suspect Doctors would be needed all over the country. If there was a need - maybe the 'powers that be' in a town would contact the existing medical schools to advertise their vacancy in these establishments.

I must emphasise that this is pure supposition on my part. I don't want you getting excited and what I am saying being a load of rubbish!

I honestly don't know why he would go to Staffordshire if it is him. Might be worth exploring Medical Schools 1700s or something like that. Just to see how many were around in that era.

Might also be worth researching Scottish Baptisms --- if you know the name of Archibald's children -- he may have named his eldest son after his own father (just another speculation!)
Places of interest;

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 19 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Don't get your hopes up too high, and beware of picking the wrong one.

In my tree I have an Archibald Campbell who married in Perthshire in 1792. His record includes this rather despairing note:

"Scotland's People has 54 Archibald Campbell births/baptisms in Perthshire between 1740 and 1777; it is impossible at this stage to know which one is his."

And that's just from one county.  ??? :-\ ::)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
According to Freemen records for the borough of Stafford. Archibald Campbell was admitted as "an inhabitant of this borough" on 16th March 1773. He was sworn in as a capital burgess and was mayor in 1780
There is a burial record 8 May 1805 at Holy Trinity, Baswich (now a part of Stafford) of Archibald Campbell MD
Incidently he married Mary by licence. Which may indicate he wasn't established in the parish long enough for banns to be read
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Zen Rabbit --- what brilliant information you have found for the person with the query.
Places of interest;

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
According to Freemen records for the borough of Stafford. Archibald Campbell was admitted as "an inhabitant of this borough" on 16th March 1773. He was sworn in as a capital burgess and was mayor in 1780
There is a burial record 8 May 1805 at Holy Trinity, Baswich (now a part of Stafford) of Archibald Campbell MD
Incidently he married Mary by licence. Which may indicate he wasn't established in the parish long enough for banns to be read

sorry for the late reply on this one. What a fantastic find! Thank you very much.

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland: