Author Topic: John Murray  (Read 2985 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Murray
« on: Sunday 15 May 22 15:03 BST (UK) »
According to my most recent research for information for John Murray, he may be the son of Hugh Murray and Isabella Campbell from Saint Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland.  John Murray was born 7 July 1898 in Saint Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland and died in Waitakere, Auckland, New Zealand according to a relative.  John Murray was the father of an illegitimate son named Robert Murray Campbell born 21 December 1921 at 66 Cowane Street, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland to his mother Annie Melville Campbell.  She was born 14 Jan 1898 in Lintriggs, Falkirk, Scotland and she died on 9 December 1984 in Waitakere, Auckland, New Zealand.  Robert Murray Campbell was my father-in-law.  He passed away in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada on 10 March 1994.

To our knowledge John Murray was an engineer.  He was a seaman in the UK merchant service and he may have died at sea.  We do not have any proof of this last fact.

Can someone on Rootschat for Scotland confirm if indeed John Murray is the biological father of my father-in-law Robert Murray Campbell.   :)
Murray and Campbell

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 22 15:54 BST (UK) »
The birth is on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, you would need to order the certificate (£12) to be sure of the parentage.

ROBERT MURRAYCAMPBELL
birth registered 1922 Stirling

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 22 16:02 BST (UK) »
Is this the couple you refer to?

JOHN CAMPBELL MURRAY
birth registered 1898 St Ninians

ANNIE MELVILLE CAMPBELL
birth registered 1898 Falkirk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 22 16:17 BST (UK) »
I note you have posted quite a few records, photos etc on Ancestry, including a birth record for a John Murray 1925 Stirling, parents John & Annie as posted. Have you found a marriage for them?

Colin

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin,

Nice to meet you.  My husband's father was born in Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland on Dec. 21, 1921.  His records are going to be available.  Since we live in Canada and the cost is quite a lot of money, I'm choosing to wait on this one.

Also John Murray b) 1898 and Annie Melville Campbell had their second son was indeed born 17 July 1925 at 66 Cowane Street, Stirlingshire, Scotland and died on 1 November 2001 in Auckland, New Zealand. This second son could either be a brother to my father-in-law Robert Murray Campbell (their first son) or possibly a step brother. That is what I will need  to find out next.   I was going to bring that topic up once we had John Murray's answer.

As for John Murray born 1925, he married Elizabeth (Betty) Brown Laidlaw on April 5, 1946.  I am assuming since both of them lived in Stirling that they married there but I don't know for sure.  I do believe that they were still in Scotland at the time.
Murray and Campbell

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 22 19:11 BST (UK) »
John Murray Jnr and wife Elizabeth Laidlaw married in Falkirk, Stirlingshire on the date you have.

His parents details show as father being John Murray, seaman Merchant Navy. Deceased. Mother Annie Melville Campbell housekeeper, afterwards married to John William Buchanan Wilson, labourer (I think that is the name, writing pretty poor on this image). Fits with Annie's details here www.findagrave.com/memorial/204884492/annie-melville-wilson

So, at least two children born to John Snr and Annie Campbell?

Monica

Added: Some additional details here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778227.0  Did you manage to find anything on the two boys' time at Whinwell Home?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 22 22:34 BST (UK) »
Murielle, not sure you have the right John Murray for your Robert.

John Campbell Murray, son of Hugh Murray and Isabella Campbell, married on 12 Sept 1924 in Larbert, Stirlingshire to an Amelia Crawford. His occupation is showing as that of a jobbing gardener. Address is the family home, Craigend Farm. His brother George Strathie Murray was one of the witnesses.

There is also a possible death for this John on SP:

JOHN CAMPBELL MURRAY
Age 82
Mother's maiden name CAMPBELL
Ref 473/ 662
Stirling

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 22 22:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have your father in law's 1944 marriage reg to Catherine in England? If yes, what did he say about his father on this?

With the relative you have made contact with connected to brother John, have they John's 1925 birth cert to see what it shows?

Monica

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 22 00:11 BST (UK) »
Murielle, not sure you have the right John Murray for your Robert.

John Campbell Murray, son of Hugh Murray and Isabella Campbell, married on 12 Sept 1924 in Larbert, Stirlingshire to an Amelia Crawford. His occupation is showing as that of a jobbing gardener. Address is the family home, Craigend Farm. His brother George Strathie Murray was one of the witnesses.

There is also a possible death for this John on SP:

JOHN CAMPBELL MURRAY
Age 82
Mother's maiden name CAMPBELL
Ref 473/ 662
Stirling

Monica

I agree - 'your' John Murray is not the son of Hugh and Isabella.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk