Author Topic: Former Nazereth House, Aberdeen inmates!  (Read 1284 times)

Offline DavePPP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Former Nazereth House, Aberdeen inmates!
« on: Friday 01 September 23 14:06 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of collating my family tree, specifically on my paternal side.  I have found out that my uncle had possible had two children in the late 1940's. I have found a potential record for one "Patrick Doogan" who appears to match the birth date and other dates. Undertaking further research it appears he may have been shipped off to Australia and the NAA records indicate he was resident at the above institution. Could anyone advise how I could move forward from here?

I have also found potential travel information as to where he left from and arrived to. However it is possible there were numerous Patrick Doogans.

Thankyou in anticipation.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Former Nazereth House, Aberdeen inmates!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, DavePPP, and welcome to rootschat.

Hope Patrick survived the treatment from Nazareth House, and possibly is still living in Australia.

If he is still alive he should not show on family trees, so have you looked to see if your uncle is in trees on Ancestry, and then tried to contact tree owners to see what information they may have on him?

Was he born in Aberdeen?

When you put "Patrick Doogan" - was that his actual name, or are you deliberately keeping it hidden as he may be alive?    Have you got his actual birth information?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 23 08:13 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading some articles about the Nazareth Houses - what evil places they were.  How can people treat children in such a way in a religious establishment?

Offline DavePPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 23 14:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information, just to enlighten you further. I have obtained two Immigration documents from Australia house in London. Both signed on the same day and by the same person. ID numbers on documents are concurrent and support travel documents from ship records that two brothers, Patrick and Lawrence Doogan travelled to WA in 1953. Furthermore both immigration documents indicate then two boys were in the care of Nazareth house Aberdeen at the same time (both signed by the Mother Superior).
Ancestry records show that Patrick died in Australia, but no dates or records available. He possibly died in the Simpson desert in the centre of Australia, no dates.
Further records show that Lawrence may have travelled back to the UK in the 70's and was a firefighter, no other records found.

Finally, I have sent messages to owners of Ancestry sights where the boys are mentioned but had no reply. Not sure what else I can do?
Have sent an email to Nazareth house archives in Ireland but nothing so far.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 September 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Welcome from me too  :)

As chempat asked earlier, were the boys born in Scotland? If you want to mention, what was your Uncle's name? Searching the electoral rolls for Aberdeen, the surname Doogan doesn't show but Dougan does.

What do you know about your Uncle? Did he move away from Ireland to Scotland? Was he married?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 September 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
I came across this www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2018-01/FOI_17_1329_NazarethHouse.pdf which I think makes Aberdeen Council's view on this clear. The only main source for you to follow for records will be the central depository for Nazareth Homes in Scotland.

You might get some clues for follow up on the various links available to the various enquires in Scotland where many children, now adults, took part and gave evidence.

From other people's experiences in trying to gather info in this period and earlier, it is a nigh impossible task to find detailed records  :-\

Maybe focusing on your Uncle's life at that time might throw up some clues to the reasons why the two boys ended up there.

Monica

Offline DavePPP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 23 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica. As far as I am aware they were born in Ireland, as was there father. I find a marriage record for him a couple of years after there move to Australia. Without jumping the gun I am thinking they were born outside of marriage, father/mother could not cope and were placed in some form of institution prior to Aberdeen Nazareth house. There names were Patrick and Lawrence with the surname of Doogan. Doogan is correct as I remember meeting Patrick (Paddy) Doogan senior as a child. However nothing was ever said regarding the two boys. I will certainly look at the Aberdeen site thank you.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
National Archives Australia has a file for Lawrence to do with Applications for Australian Citizenship.

DOOGAN Lawrence
Contents date range  1990 - 1990
Series number K669
Location Perth
Access status Not yet examined

The above record is not online, only the index but you can apply to have the record opened. There would be a cost involved.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

They also have their child migrant records on the above link. Most likely the same records you already have. One of the boys has a place of birth the other doesn't. It also doesn't say they are with a brother, i would have thought that it would be noted they were brothers but then i could be wrong.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Having a look at your link, giblet.

From this, Lawrence's birth date is given as 28 Aug 1941. Birth place showing on his imigration form as Filey, Yorkshire.

This looks to be his birth details:

Births 3rd Qrt 1941
Lawrence Doogan        
Mother's maiden name Watson    
Buckrose (Yorkshire East Riding)
Vol. 9d Pg. 107

His imigration form was signed off on 8 December 1952 nearly two years after Patrick's was signed off. They both show on the manifest of the 'Maloja' which left England on 10 Mar 1953.

His travel docs for coming back into Australia in 1970. He was only out of the country for 16 days (holiday or work?). Additional middle name of Francis given.

Monica