Author Topic: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot  (Read 20210 times)

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #63 on: Monday 03 January 11 02:33 GMT (UK) »
August 1, 1958 Birth Cert Ireland

My mother has left Ireland May 1957 pregnant and had my sister Sept 1957.  I am thinking now my mother is looking to immigrate to Australia and needs certification either baptism cert or birth cert for immigration purposes to go to Australia.

NOTICE THE NAME CHANGE FROM REEVES TO MCCABE.. THIS IS WHEN MY MOTHER FOUND OUT SHE WAS ADOPTED, AFTER SHE LEFT IRELAND TO HAVE HER DAUGHTER.

Josephine McCabe
April 5th, 1934 birth
Births and Deaths Registration Acts 1863-1952

This cert is wrong and I have a letter from the GRO sent in 1966 asking them to return it because it is incorrect.  I believe though that there has to be some validity in the fact that they were looking for a Josephine McCabe. 
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Josephine McCabe / Josephine Reeves - Old Camden St, Rathmines & Ballyfermot
« Reply #64 on: Monday 03 January 11 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Baptism cert July 23, 1958

Church of the Three Patrons Rathgar, Dublin
Josephine McCabe
May 1, 1934 Birth
May 23, 1934 Baptised
Sponsor Brigid Molloy no other sponsor
Confirmed at St. Kevin's Harrington st on April 1934

Currently the rep of 3 Patrons will not release any other info probably because there is only a mother listed on the cert.. meaning the child was born out of wedlock.  She did state after asking that she confirmed Josephine McCabe was the daughter of Josephine McCabe.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 03 January 11 02:59 GMT (UK) »
January 21, 1966 Birth Certificate

(entry 239)
Date and place: May 1st 1934 Rotunda
Name: Josephine
Sex: Female
Surname and Maiden name of mother: Florence McCann* 115 Hollyfield Bldg Rathmines (column 6)
Rank/ Profession of father: ------------
Signature and residence informant: B. Hayes present at birth Rotunda
When registered: May 3, 1934
Signature of Registrant: MMJ Nolan

* in entry no. 239 column 6 for "florence mccann" read josephine McCabe.  Corrected on 19th January 1966 by me Timothy Purcell for Supt. Reg on production of a statuary declaratrion made by Elizabeth Reeves and Willima Reeves being two credible persons having knowledge of the truth of the case.  Baptismal certificate produced.

The GRO has amended this cert to show now that Josephine McCabe is the mom and Florence is now removed and there is no * in the column.  This was the human error entry.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 03 January 11 03:04 GMT (UK) »
these are the docs that I have from Ireland.. St. Kevin's as my mum listed as McCabe/ Reeves.. only more info to compound my mum would have been McCabe.  Mrs. Reeves lived at 81 Hollyfield Building when my mother was born..  So back then did a child stay in the family?  Mrs. Reeves was once widowed prior to marrying Mr. John Reeves.  Clues? Ideas?  This is what I know.. I hope this helps.. Thank You!
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 03 January 11 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those details. We can see more clearly now what happened

1. Regarding the birth, it does seem that the mother signed into the Rotunda as "Florence McCann".
    The hospital registered the birth as such, and there was presumably no need for a Birth Cert  for many years, so the Reeves never spotted the mistake. They only did so in 1958 when your mother needed a Birth Cert
      No "error" was actually made, the Rotunda were just using the data the mother gave them

2. There was a baptism on 23 May 1934. Had Josephine been "given" to the Reeves by this time. In other words was the baptism done by the natural mother, or had she left the scene by then.
     Also the sponsor is a clue. Is she known to the Reeves or to the birth mother, or both.
     I did wonder if she was the birth mother, but the fact that the Reeves later had the change from McCann to McCabe militates against that. They just would not have bothered if the real mother had been Bridid Molloy

3. The Reeves seem to have thought about registering the birth (again) in 1956. You say you have some papers. What happened here. Were the papers drawn up but never submitted. Or submitted and rejected.

4. The Reeves did know who the real mother was and had no doubts that it was McCabe, and felt strongly enough to get the original registration changed.
     It perhaps indicates that they were friends/relations rather than just neighbours.

5. So when it comes down to it the only real clue there is to work on appears to be what is the relationship been the Reeves and the birth mother.
    Did the Reeves have any other children?

6. Sometimes in these stories, the birth mother flits in and out as an "aunt" or other relative that your mother might have known. Anything come to mind here that might be worth mentioning?

7. Given the birth mother signed herself in to the Rotunda as "Florence McCann" of "115 Hollyfield Building" you need to look at who was living at that address at that time. Was there an actual Florence Mccann at that address, or was that "Josephine McCabe's" address, or is it fictitious?
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 03 January 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
has it been confirmed that Josephine McCabe actually used the name Florence McCann?
Could it be that the GRO issued the cert having transcribing the Mother's name incorrectly?

I have come across this when checking some of my facts
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 03 January 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
has it been confirmed that Josephine McCabe actually used the name Florence McCann?
Could it be that the GRO issued the cert having transcribing the Mother's name incorrectly?

I have come across this when checking some of my facts

The record on the BMD Index that appears to correspond has the name McCann also, and has no maiden surname - which fits the details.

.. so I'm dont think a mis-transciption at the point of issuing the cert could account for that.

Just to be sure it might be worth ordering a research cert of the birth entry, to see if the details are clear. I suppose it's possible that the details entered originally were unclear.. and mis-indexed from the beginning.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 03 January 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »
What I have here is what I know.  My mother died when I was 9, 31 years ago.  All her info died with her.  My father never maintained contact. 

My mother did have a brother, he was also adopted.  His name was William Reeves June 22, 1932 and died February 12,1998.  He had "nerves" as I was told.  I wrote to him a few times with no return.  My adoptive grandfather John Reeves b.May 2, 1897 d May 22, 1955 (I found he had a sister Mary last night) (son of William and Margaret Kennedy) and my grandmother was Elizabeth Hogan.  She was married and widowed once to a Butler then married John Reeves 12/20/1929 at 3 Patron.  The only other fact I know is she had a sister from a telegram that was mailed to inform William, my uncle, of his sister's death, my mum.  Molly Hogan 1b Mount Pleasant Terrace Ranelagh Dublin 6. 

I wish the woman at 3 Patron could/ would help me.  Living in Massachusetts does not help.  I wish I had all of this put together prior to going to Ireland in August..

I was trying to put the family information together.  I don't know if this Molly Hogan is still alive?  There is another family friend who I am trying to speak with.  Brigid Brett.  (never married) She lived next to my grandmother Reeves on Kylemore Drive Ballyfermot... I found her younger brother a couple of weeks ago.. I have not heard back from him yet, sadly.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 03 January 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corisande,

It appears my mother's baptism record is listed as McCabe.  But I am not 100 percent.  I have not actually seen the record.  I have seen the confirmation record and that shows mccabe/ reeves.  When I got the cert from the chruch it showed McCabe.. but it was also missing the mother's name. 

The papers were drawn up and appear never submitted.  $$ maybe to register?  Never the less it is the physical doc.  At this point maybe it was my adoptive grandmother attempting to change things in vain.  This is when my mother had left for England to have my sister.  it appears she did not know she was adopted yet.

I am not fluent in searching Irish records.  it would seem there is some connection since the addresses at Hollyfield are close to each other.  The Reeves living at 81 and Florence McCann or Josephine McCabe living at 115 Hollyfield... if we could actually find who was living at 115 Hollyfield at that time..?  But I don't know how to begin doing that?  I have dealt with the housing authority before.. they are the ones who told me my uncle had died.. other than that they have been very secretive about things.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan