Author Topic: Sidney George Blank  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sidney George Blank
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 13 December 20 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be useful for someone with access to Ancestry to trace Henry Blank (and Alice) through the PO directories and electoral rolls to try to pin point where and when they were in QLD, NSW and VIC.

My imaginings: Henry comes up from NSW to Queensland in search of his son Sid and Mary Alice Kinch. The three of them eventually go off together, running away to Victoria (and eventually NSW), and Mary changes her name to Alice so she could not be traced so easily. She could not marry Henry Blank as she was already married to William H. Kinch. They would however behave as if they were a married couple, and she called herself Alice Blank. As William Kinch had been abandoned by his wife, he partnered with Naomi Parsons, had a child with her, and finally married her once he knew his wife Mary Alice had died.
What a great movie this would make!
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 13 December 20 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow that's a great scenario.  Hope theres a book deal in it somewhere.  LOL.  What I really need to find back in Devon at the moment is the actual baptismal record of either/both Sidney George Pethybridge (Blank) to see if the mothers middle name "Alice" is mentioned at all.  Or Mary Maria A PETHERBRIDGE'S baptismal record is listed with the middle name added "Alice" with the mum Frances Petherbridge.

I have looked on familysearch but can't find any baptismal records there.  I could be really helpful.

As to electoral rolls here they begin on ancestry in 1903!  If Alice died before 1901 when women could vote, well I'm out of luck there.  At least I have an really good clue as to where she was living.  Which is amazing.  So far HENRY S. BLANK has arrived in NSW in 1883 as a single man, so Alice has told some little white lies on his death but that's okay.  So tracking his movements may not be easy but will see what is out there!!  He may have gone to Victoria on the gold fields?? Who knows.  Will see what I can find from local resources here.  So much fun chasing these people around.  Regards Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 13 December 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I broadly agree with the possibilities in Neale's hypothesis.

I note also that both Henry Stockman and Alice died young and the cause of Henry's death was  wasting away due to tuberculosis.

Makes me think they were both stricken with the same cause of early death.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 14 December 20 09:56 GMT (UK) »
1856 baptism at Holne Parish Church: 14 September - Mary Maria Alice dau of Frances Henday PETHERBRIDGE of Staddicombe.

Frances Handay PETHERBRIDGE bapt 5 Jun 1823 at Cornwood, dau of William & Mary.

Frances HENDAY PETHERBRIDGE had banns called in 1846 to a Robert PORTEOUS but didn't marry him. However, in 1863 she married Richard MILLS at Holne.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone I have just received the death certificate for the ALICE BLANK that died in Victoria and it is really useless.  Well at least I know.  No parents, child, husband, place of birth.  Grrrrrr!  Let's hope that's NOT the Alice I need.  Moving right along.

I found out a little bit more on the "BLANKS" Devon.  Looks like the Grandfather of Henry Stockman Blank is George possibley b c 1807 in Slatpton, Devon wife Mary Ann!  George seems to be deceased by the 1861 Census as Mary Ann Blank is a widow.  When you look at the 1861 Census I can see name patterns and the occupation of Plasterer seems to be common with the family. 

Also with the other side.  Bishops transcripts have a WILLIAM PETHERBRIDGE marrying a MARY ANN HENDY in 1806.  Frances Hendy Petherbridges parents.  Mum to Mary Maria Alice P.

Just looking and comparing the 1881 Census with the occupation of Charles John BLANK as a Coachman! how does that compare with Cab Proprietor on Henry's death certificate.

Another thought, if I did order the marriage of Mary M.A Petherbridge to William Kinch, if Mary did not know here father??? What would be possibly on her marriage certificate.  Richard MILLS the stepfather????? Not sure.   

Alice must have known a lot/enough about her "Hubby" Henry to be able to give the information for that death certificate which is very thorough.  Some progress with the tree BUT have gaps to fill if not will just have to put "probable and possible" in the tree.  LOL hope everyone is well!  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I do think that death certificate for Alice will be right - but unfortunately when she died there was no-one who knew her family background to give the detail for the death record.
I had a look at the Blank family too - see if mine below tallies with yours. Note that Charles John Blank was a coachman in early census but had changes to cab proprietor in later ones.

William BLANK (b. 1757 Chivelstone - parents are Joseph and Jane; d.1825) and Johanna MORTIMORE (b.1762; d.1849)
married 27 Aug 1782 Slapton Devon
•   William BLANK 1782 Blackawton
•   Jane 1784 Blackawton
•   Richard 1785 Blackawton
•   Joanna 1787 Slapton
•   Thomas BLANK 1790 Slapton
•   Sarah BLANK 1792 Slapton
•   Mary Ann BLANK 1794 Slapton
•   John BLANK 1796 Slapton
•   Joseph BLANK 1798 Slapton
•   Nicholas BLANK 1800 Slapton
•   Elizabeth BLANK 1802 Slapton
•   Betty BLANK 1803 Slapton
•   George BLANK 1807 Slapton/Blackawton

George BLANK (Servant / post boy) bapt 13 Sept 1807 Slapton/Blackawton & Mary Ann ?Parsons?
Married 1 March 1836 Exeter
•   Lydia J. BLANK 1851 Torquay
•   Robert P. BLANK 1849 Torquay
•   Frederick W.  BLANK 1847 Torquay
•   Henry A BLANK 1844 Torquay
•   Matilda E BLANK 1842 Torquay
•   George Nicholas BLANK bapt. 18 Nov 1838 Teignmouth; d. 1914; mar. Louisa EARL
•   Charles John BLANK (coachman / cabdriver) bapt 26 Feb 1837 West Teignmouth Devon; d.1901 Plymouth

Charles John BLANK             
1860 Newton Abbot - Married to Mary Jane STOCKMAN b. abt. 1843 Torquay
o   Harry Stockman BLANK 1861
o   Jessie Elena BLANK 1863
o   ? Female 1866
o   Bertie BLANK 1869
o   Frank BLANK 1872
o   Charles BLANK 1874
1871 census  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5T9-RZ4
1901 census  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSWV-99S

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful!!  Thanks for that. I assume that the William BLANK and family is from the 1841 Census.  I never got that far, so thanks for that! 

Wow the exact description of Cab Proprietor is on the Census for Charles J. BLANK.  Even though that is the 1901 Census and Henry died in 1896.  I think that the families may have had some contact with each other between Devon and Australia.  I think I can add William and Johanna MORTIMORE to the tree with confidence!! 

When I saw the surname PARSON'S re possibly Mary Ann Parson's my first thought was the NAOMI PARSONS here in Qld, that William HINCH married.  I thought don't tell me they are connected.  LOL  I'm sure Parson's is a fairly common name though.  Many thanks again. Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Dianna,
Would you mind typing up all the details of the DC of Alice BLANK.

I do understand it offers you no useful information, but we would still be interested in all the small details please.

It sounds almost as if she sort of wandered in to Yarrawonga!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Found a few baptisms to William and Johanna here.

www.our4bears.net/parishes/Blackawton/Blackawton_bap.htm.

Hi Sue yes I will type it all up.  No worries.  I don't think I can just copy it here!  All good.  Thanks