Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10323 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #72 on: Friday 19 March 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
the record in Great Synagogue for 22 August 1848

Zacharia Moses (minor) father Benjamin Moses patronymic Zacharia b Binyamin address 112 Houndsditch.
Rachael Juda (minor) father Moses Juda patronymic Rahel b Moshe  address 112 Houndsditch

unfortunately the book has only been transcribed to 1885 so next one isnt here

Fantastic!

Could this be the family in 1841? They're in Christchurch, Spitalfields: Benjamin Moses, 35, general dealer, not born in county (everyone else was born in county); Hannah Moses, 30; Zacharia Moses, 13, general dealer; Lewis Moses, 10; Fanny Moses, 4; and Israel [I think] Moses, 2.

England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 25 March 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
So after much consultation with Squiddley1957 from the Family Tree Forum, who has done a lot of work, & consultations with newly found family members, we have settled on;
- Harry Moss was born Henry (!!) Morris Moss 6/3/1889 at Queen Charlotte's Hospital to Morris Moss & Ada Rosina Moss b. Tardbard. He was then baptised (!!) 14/3/1889 in St John's Wood. He is the same person who we saw in the 1911 working at the Avenue Hotel in Shaftesbury Av & who marries Rose Phillips in 1913.
- His Morris Moss was indeed born Moses Moss in St Botolph way, (yes son of Zachariah Moses, & the family then moved to Praed St Paddington), but Moses used the names Maurice & Morris in his life. He married a Fanny Moses (b.1862) in 1886, in a Jewish ceremony, but shortly after this both Fanny & their newborn son Benjamin died. This appears to have sent Moses/Morris/Maurice into the arms of Ada Rosina Tarbard, who he married in July 1888 in Hastings. She was almost certainly not Jewish, & neither was their ceremony, & she was prob pregnant with Harry at the time.
- Moses then goes to New York in April 1889 with Ada Rosina & Harry.
- Moses then dies in Whitechapel in 1904, & Ada Rosina goes on to have a new life with a Richard Vowles around Canning Town, & has other children with him.

The questions that remain;
- I can find no records of Morris/Moses, Ada Rosina & Harry in New York apart form their arrival, & nor can I find their return to London, which apparently was after a couple of years.
- Harry & family are not on the 1891 Census (prob in NY), but where is he in 1901?

But I thought I'd send that info to you all :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping us updated. I’m sorry if I’ve missed some of your research stages in what is now a very long thread.

Have you managed to resolve satisfactorily this very important issue below that you yourself raised in reply #48?

The big question is whether the Harry Moss married in 1913, 24, a barman, is the same as in this 1911 census.

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping us updated. I’m sorry if I’ve missed some of your research stages in what is now a very long thread.

Have you managed to resolve satisfactorily this very important issue below that you yourself raised in reply #48?

The big question is whether the Harry Moss married in 1913, 24, a barman, is the same as in this 1911 census.

That's ok I've struggled to keep up with it myself at times!

Of course there can't be definitive proof but the names, DOB, place of birth, the family story, & now Harry's (or Henry's!) birth certificate, father, occupations all match up. I am satisfied.

Squiddley has even located Moses & his father Zachariah's headstones in Edmonton Jewish cem which is very satisfying.

Just these 2 questions really remain on Harry Moss. And we still don't know who all his children were but this should be resolved by the 1921 Census release.

I now need to learn how to trace people going back to before the early 1800s, because without the Census results & the parental/job details on the wedding certificates it seems very hard!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 25 March 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
This is great!

JeremyS, I'm still confused about Harry's final resting place. I understand that the cemetery didn't have anything on file for him, but is there a stone on his grave?

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 25 March 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
This is great!

JeremyS, I'm still confused about Harry's final resting place. I understand that the cemetery didn't have anything on file for him, but is there a stone on his grave?

Regards,
Josephine

No stone I'm afraid, a rather sad looking grave! And no other info held there, so a dead-end :(

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 25 March 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
This is great!

Regards,
Josephine

No stone I'm afraid, a rather sad looking grave! And no other info held there, so a dead-end :(

Oh, that's too bad.

Regards,
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:15 GMT (UK) »
- I can find no records of Morris/Moses, Ada Rosina & Harry in New York apart form their arrival, & nor can I find their return to London, which apparently was after a couple of years.
- Harry & family are not on the 1891 Census (prob in NY), but where is he in 1901?

What kind of clues can you give us from the documentation of their arrival in New York? Does it list Ada's age, for example? Does it say where they intended to stay (and/or who they intended to stay with) and what type of work Morris/Moses Moss was intending to do in the US? Do you know where Ada was born?

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I had  look through Doreen Bergers books in which she has transcribed a lot of Jewish reports from the Jewish Chronical found this

Rachel Moses death at 10th July 1874 @ 25 Cutler Street Houndsditch  beloved wife of Zachariah Moses and Mrs Barnet Daughter and Mrs Judah Daughter.

also in Great Synagogue births
Isaac Butler Street Houndsditch  14th Oct 1864
Joseph  7 Market Street Finsbury  24th July 1851
Benjamin 6 Devonshire Street Bishopsgate 31st March 1857

MOSES, MOSES       JUDAH 
GRO Reference: 1858  D Quarter in EAST LONDON  Volume 01C  Page 13
all were children of Zachariah & Rachel Moses.

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk