Author Topic: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record  (Read 1408 times)

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget McIvor nee Kerr death record
« Reply #36 on: Monday 06 February 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census for Mary McIver Mooney, has any of the family viewed the original given Ancestry at least showed:
Elizabeth McIoor 50 Sister, Servant Domestic b. Ireland
If this was Bridget, at the very least she should show as sister in law not sister to Hugh (relationship is always given to head of household on the censuses).
I quoted a better transcription in Reply#8 yesterday, but I agree that you need to look at the original document.

Elizabeth McIvor, widow, sister, aged 50.

If she is Hugh Mooney's sister, then she isn't Bridget Kerr or McIvor, because Bridget Kerr or McIvor was Hugh Mooney's mother-in-law. And she is 22 years old than Hugh Mooney's wife Mary McIvor or Mooney, and (if the date of birth you have for Bridget Kerr or McIvor in 1837 is correct) only 3 years younger than Bridget Kerr or McIvor.

Given that the mother both of Mary McIvor or Mooney and of Catherine McIvor or Grenary is named as Bridget Kerr or McIvor on both their birth certificates and as Elizabeth Kerr or McIvor on both their marriage certificates and both their death certificates, we know that Bridget became Elizabeth at some point.

Is it too much of a leap to conclude that Elizabeth McIvor, aged 50 in 1891, is in fact Bridget Kerr or McIvor, who was 53 on census day 1891?

Thank you, i too had agonised over the if this was the case! It seems like people did not know there birth dates very well. I have popped the original from Scotlands PPL in the post above.

I will take a look through the irish death records, there appears to be one on Ancestry but its for a death in Limerick and im just not sure that works.

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me joining in on this one. I might have another piece to add to the jigsaw and hopefully this won't confuse things.

As you mentioned RC records I thought there might be a possibility that there might be burial records for an RC cemetery.

There is a separate thread in the Lanarkshire page on St Kentigern's. Records which are searchable at https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853 (hope the link works).

You can search the Daily Internment books roughly just after a date of death to find lair location and reference number and using the reference number you can then look at Grave Registers (lair books).

As you have Catherine's date of death in 1924, it looks to me as if she is buried in St Kentigern's. Looking at the lair books a Bridget (no surname recorded) was also buried there 30th March 1925. Going back to Daily Internments for 30th March 1925 there is a burial for a Bridget McIvor.

I haven't been able to match up an official death record to this burial though.

(It looks like Mary McIvor/Mooney was also buried in St Kentigern's.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me joining in on this one. I might have another piece to add to the jigsaw and hopefully this won't confuse things.

As you mentioned RC records I thought there might be a possibility that there might be burial records for an RC cemetery.

There is a separate thread in the Lanarkshire page on St Kentigern's. Records which are searchable at https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853 (hope the link works).

You can search the Daily Internment books roughly just after a date of death to find lair location and reference number and using the reference number you can then look at Grave Registers (lair books).

As you have Catherine's date of death in 1924, it looks to me as if she is buried in St Kentigern's. Looking at the lair books a Bridget (no surname recorded) was also buried there 30th March 1925. Going back to Daily Internments for 30th March 1925 there is a burial for a Bridget McIvor.

(It looks like Mary McIvor/Mooney was also buried in St Kentigern's.)

Hope this helps a bit.

Wow thanks! Great find, I will try and cross reference this evening!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you are right she died in Ireland. I have tried to look at GRONI for a record, lots of Bridget Kerrs but its annoying as i can only search in 5 year increments!
Don't use GRONI- use www.irishgenealogy.ie in the first instance and GRONI only if you are sure she died in Northern Ireland after 1922. And Ancestry not at all.

Also she would be indexed as McIvor not Kerr.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Going back to Daily Internments for 30th March 1925 there is a burial for a Bridget McIvor.

She's in the deaths index as McIver not McIvor.

Aged 72 which implies she was born in 1852/1853, and her other surname is Holmes. Bridget Holmes married Denis McIver in 1876. So she doesn't look like your Bridget.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 06 February 23 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Going back to Daily Internments for 30th March 1925 there is a burial for a Bridget McIvor.

Aged 72 which implies she was born in 1852/1853, and her other surname is Holmes. Bridget Holmes married Denis McIver in 1876. So she doesn't look like your Bridget.

Thanks for looking at that. Point noted for irishgenealogy. The search goes on!

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »

Another possible record in Paisley in 1925. Brigid Carr / Brigid McIvor. Age given as 80. Maybe worth a look at the SP record?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Mea culpa! Forgot about that alternative spelling of Bridget.

Definitely worth a look at that certificate.

Offline anotherhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 11:56 GMT (UK) »

Another possible record in Paisley in 1925. Brigid Carr / Brigid McIvor. Age given as 80. Maybe worth a look at the SP record?

You Champ! Thats the one....thank you very much!